Promoting quality education, leadership, and support for the Districts of Boone and Winnebago Counties
Obtaining a Work Permit
The Illinois Child Labor Law requires employers to secure and keep on file Employment Certificates (work permits) for children under 16 years of age. The Regional Superintendent of Schools acts as the issuing officer for the Department of Labor.The permits are issued after all requirements of the Law have been met (Sec. 12, IL Child Labor Law).
OBTAINING A WORK PERMIT FOR A MINOR
- Applications may be obtained in our office (Regional Office of Education - 300 Heart Blvd, Loves Park, IL 61111).
- The four forms include: You can click on each of the forms below to download and print.
- Applicant Employee Statement -When you find a job, you need a "letter of intent to hire" from the prospective employer. It must outline the hours you will be working and what you will be doing.
- Physical Fitness Form - Provide the completed form or a copy of a health exam completed within the last year.
- Principal Statement - To be completed by the principal (if the minor will be working during the school year)
- Parent Permission- A parent or guardian must grant the minor permission to work.
- Once the paperwork is completed, the minor AND the parent or guardian must bring the forms to our office with an official birth certificate and the minor's Social Security number.
- Click Here to Download and Print the Work Permit Requirements:
- Click Here to Download and Print the Information on Hazardous Occupations:
- Click Here to Download and Print the Applicants Employee Statement Form:
- Click Here to Download and Print the Statement of Physical Fitness Form:
- Click Here to Download and Print the Principal Statement Form:
- Click Here to Download and Print the Parent Permission Form: