Promoting quality education, leadership, and support for the Districts of Boone and Winnebago Counties
Obtaining a Work Permit
The Illinois Child Labor Law requires employers to secure and keep on file Employment Certificates (work permits) for children under 16 years of age. The Regional Superintendent of Schools acts as the issuing officer for the Department of Labor.The permits are issued after all requirements of the Law have been met (Sec. 12, IL Child Labor Law).
OBTAINING A WORK PERMIT FOR A MINOR
- Applications may be obtained in our office (Regional Office of Education - 300 Heart Blvd, Loves Park, IL 61111).
- The four forms include:
- Employer Statement -When you find a job, you need a "letter of intent to hire" from the prospective employer. It must outline the hours you will be working and what you will be doing.
- Letter of Approval - A parent or guardian must grant the minor permission to work.
- Physical Fitness Form - Provide the completed form or a copy of a health exam completed within the last year.
- Principal Statement - To be completed by the principal (if the minor will be working during the school year)
- Once the paperwork is completed, the minor AND the parent or guardian must bring the forms to our office with an official birth certificate and the minor's Social Security number.