Getting a first job is a milestone in students’ lives. Working as a student takes initiative, discipline, and time management, all of which are skills that transfer to future opportunities. For students under the age of 16, there is a process to obtain a work permit. The Regional Office of Education has made this process efficient and smooth for parents and students.
The Illinois Child Labor Law requires employers to secure and keep on file Employment Certificates (work permits) for children under 16 years of age. The Regional Superintendent of Schools acts as the issuing officer for the Department of Labor. The permits are issued after all requirements of the Law have been met (Sec. 12, IL Child Labor Law).
The links below are all of the required documents needed for us to issue a work permit.
You must bring all required documents with you to the Regional Office of Education, and we will review and issue the work permit.
OBTAINING A WORK PERMIT FOR A MINOR
- Applications may be obtained in our office (Regional Office of Education - 300 Heart Blvd, Loves Park, IL 61111).
- The four forms include: (Click on each of the forms below to download and print.)
- Applicant Employee Statement - When you find a job, you need a "letter of intent to hire" from the prospective employer. It must outline the hours you will be working and what you will be doing.
- Physical Fitness Form - Provide the completed form or a copy of a health exam completed within the last year.
- Principal Statement - To be completed by the principal (if the minor will be working during the school year)
- Parent Permission - A parent or guardian must grant the minor permission to work.
- Once the paperwork is completed, the minor AND the parent or guardian must bring the forms to our office with an official birth certificate and the minor's Social Security number.
Click Here to Download and Print the Work Permit Requirements:
Click Here to Download and Print the Information on Hazardous Occupations:
Click Here to Download and Print the Applicants Employee Statement Form:
Click Here to Download and Print the Statement of Physical Fitness Form:
Click Here to Download and Print the Principal Statement Form:
Click Here to Download and Print the Parent Permission Form: