Out of State Applicants

Promoting quality education, leadership, and support for the Districts of Boone-Winnebago Counties

Out of State and Foreign Applicant Instructions

Create an ELIS Account

  1. Log into the Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS) at https://www.isbe.net/Pages/Educator-Licensure-Information-System.aspx
  2. On Educator Access, select the Login to your ELIS account link.
  3. Click on Sign Up Now on the left side of the page.
  4. Fill in all of the required fields and click to continue. Once logged into ELIS, you will click to apply for an Illinois license, endorsement or approval and follow the application wizard to apply for your Illinois license
  5. Send to your university, form 80-02 or 80-03 whichever is applicable. Forms can be found at https://www.isbe.net/Pages/Licensure-Forms.aspx Your university will send the completed forms directly to ISBE per the instructions on the top of the forms.
  6. Send your official transcripts and a copy of your out-of-state license to Jamie Watts electronically to jwatts@roe4.org or mail to 300 Heart Blvd, Loves Park, IL 61111.
  7. If you graduated from a foreign university, read the information below regarding having your foreign transcripts translated into US college credit.

Testing information can be found at www.il.nesinc.com.

Applicants Prepared as Educators Outside the United States

In order to become licensed in Illinois, foreign applicants must have been prepared as an educator outside of the United States, meet all coursework and testing requirements, be legally eligible for employment in the United States, and meet all other requirements detailed in Illinois statute and rules.

If you have foreign credentials, you will need to obtain an evaluation that converts the foreign educational credentials to equivalent American semester credits and courses. The evaluation will need to specify the grade level for which you prepared as a teacher. It will also need to indicate the American degree equivalence of your foreign credentials. You will find a list of approved foreign credential evaluation organizations in this link.

Bring the foreign credential evaluation report to the Regional Office of Education and we will upload it to your ELIS account.